Thursday, July 30, 2009

Oregon Part 6

Half way through our vacation we were given the gift of a two night stay at the Oregon Coast. Specifically we spent time in Gold Beach at the Gold Beach Inn.

The town we were staying was about 3 hours from Medford where we spent the majority of our vacation.

In an attempt to give honest reviews of the things we did and the places we stayed, I feel like I should start off by saying that Gold Beach Inn could use a bit of an update in decor. I'm fairly certain we had the same console TV in our house in 1988. In fact I'm pretty sure that was a replica of my childhood home. NOW as I saw this let me also say, the part of the inn where we stayed, which was a very nice sized HOUSE, was very clean, very comfortable, and very very reasonably priced. I would absolutely stay there again. Especially with the option to rent a house for a few nights as opposed to having to get 2 or more rooms. With a family of our size having options like that is really a blessing.

The hotel is ocean front, but there is about a 100 - 150 yard hike to get to the beach. It's not a difficult hike, it's just a small path you follow and voila your there!

Gold Beach seemed like a small town where everyone knew everyone. It was friendly, and slow paced, a good place to spend some time getting away.

Why Gold Beach instead of some other coastal town? Well from what I hear they have less foggy days and less rain than most of the other coastal town because of they way the town is situated on the land. That could be completely false, but this is what I was told while we were there.













The second day we were there we went to play on the beach, and noticed something lying in the sand. As we got closer we saw that it was a baby sea lion. There was a gentleman there that said he had already contacted animal control and that they were coming out to put up a sign instructing people not to touch the baby sea lion. I, being the non-coastal being that I am, was completely intrigued by being able to get so close to this beautiful animal, and not have it be in a zoo. So I sat and waited. Once animal control got there she explained that sea lions drop their young off on the beach and go out to fish, and then later on they come back to pick up their babies. UNLESS, however, someone touches the baby and then she will leave it abandoned.

I sat on the beach for 3 hours shoeing everyone away, but it didn't matter. I'm pretty sure that momma seal just picked the wrong spot to leave her baby, far over populated to keep him out of harms way. As of when we left he was still on the beach and I'm fairly certain was going to die. I actually went to the effort to look for a rescue but there is nothing. As sad as it sounds I was extremely upset and lost sleep over this little guy.







Here are some other shots of the coast. This was not directly in Gold Beach but very close and definitely on the way.







As I mentioned we drove down to the coast from Medford. Normally a 3 hour drive we managed to turn it in to closer to 6 hours by stopping at Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park in California. One way you take to the coast from Medford requires you to make a quick jog into California.

I'm sure by now I sound like a broken record but this is another MUST SEE! Our kids could have played there for days! What's so special? Nothing, ok well it's special but in a very "one with nature" kind of way. No glitz and glam, if that's your idea of vacation go to Vegas, Jedediah Smith Redwood was just quiet, with warm water to wade or swim in. The sunshine was beautiful. The trees enormous. It was a great place to stop and picnic, run off energy, and break up a trip. Mike and I both would like to go back and camp for a few days.

Oh and did I mention there is a gigantic rock to jump off of into a big pool of water. Yay that was fun!







Look at the size of these trees! They are GINORMOUS (yes that's a word).





4 comments:

Kathy Campbell said...

Another post showcasing the awesomeness that is the Great Northwest. Those photos are amazing and how sad about the pup! They do get washed up a lot, but chances are he was fine. I'm sure his momma came and took him back to sea lion camp.

Beth@Pages of Our Life said...

What a great trip! The sea lion makes me sad too. : (

Your pics are great.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh my goodness! That is just my ideal vacation ever... of course it would be entirley selish because of all the photo ops! SO beautiful!! I am just dying to get to a beach with my boys.... Unfortuntely... I live in the midwest... and that is not going to happen anytime soon :)

BTW-- came over from Mrs. Soup :)

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh I am just sying to take some beach photos... living in the midwest there is not much hope for that... I LOVE the trees pictures!!

Btw-- I came over from the lovely Mrs. Soup :)